2023 Fischell Fellowship in Biomedical Engineering

On Friday, August 25, more than 80 Fischell Department of Bioengineering graduate students, faculty, and staff celebrated at the University of Maryland Golf Course for the sixth annual EPIC Retreat where the 2023 Fischell Fellows were announced.

The Fischell Fellowship is a remarkable opportunity for graduate students pursuing research and product design within the biomedical industry. But what does it mean to be a Fischell Fellow? The Fellowship is given to individuals for recognition of their work and achievements and provides them with more than just the ability to fund their Ph.D. projects. This fellowship encourages recipients to submit invention disclosures for their research in order to push their scientific findings toward commercialization, enabling their discoveries to help people across the world.

This year, the Department announced the two recipients of the 2023 Fischell Fellowship in Biomedical Engineering as David Boegner and Shannon McLoughlin. Shannon is a fifth year PhD student conducting her research here in the Tissue Engineering and Biomaterials Laboratory. Her research involves enhancing extrusion bioprinting resolution to generate thin membranous tissue structures, such as the periosteum.

“I’m incredibly honored to be selected for this award and am extremely grateful to the Department for supporting me throughout my final year,”

“This fellowship has given me the opportunity to focus on the translational capacity of my research so that the promise of the technologies I’ve developed in the lab can become a clinical reality.”

Shannon McLoughlin